Monday, November 26, 2007

WEB 2.0 AWARDS LIST--YELP

THING #19

I chose Yelp which offers reviews of various categories (Shopping, Restaurants, etc.) for various majorAmerican cities from Atlanta to Washington D.C. I checked out the Baltimore, MD reviews. I personally would be selective about the categories in which I would just take the review at face value. For restaurants and shopping I probably would take the advice and go to the restaurant or shopping (Book Thing) after reading the review if I liked the description. However, for more critical topics such as health professionals and professional home services I'd check them out with follow up questions or asking other people for their advice.

I could see using this site for newcomers to Columbia or the Baltimore area who want to find the "best" in categories. Even residents of the Baltimore Washington area might use this site. Anyone travelling to another city could use Yelp also. I would offer this site with the caveat of being careful with some categories than others. It all depends on your trust level if you do not know the person reviewing the category and for me it depends on the category.

It is an interactive site...you can search for reviews, write reviews, and invite friends to chat about reviews.

No comments: